Monday, December 22, 2014

Some Days Last Forever. . .

No doubt a huge battle that I face on a daily basis in these years of mommy-ing little ones is the pessimistic and faithless perspective that difficult things about these days are never going to change. Often it feels as though we're going to be stuck in this twilight zone of dirty diapers, snotty noses, pee accidents and bedtime meltdowns forever. Of course there are also good, sweet things about these early years, but as the day winds to a close and the little ones wind up just as Mama and Pappa are losing their steam, inevitably a "Woe is me" attitude lurks, crouches, and often overcomes my joy.

This quote from Ed Welch found in Treasuring Christ When Your Hands Are Full has put steel in my soul of late: "Your future includes manna. It will come. There is no sense devising future scenarios now because God will do more than you anticipate. When you understand God's plan to give future grace, you have access to what is arguably God's most potent salve against anxiety and fear."

I would add to that an emphasis on his words "God's plan." God's sovereignty is the ballast in the boat of my soul reminding me that he is ruling over all my life circumstances--good and bad, easy days and hard days. He is giving grace for the moment. I can trust him to give grace for the next moment, next hour, next day, and so on. He is so kind to us, is he not?

No comments:

Post a Comment